Wind data not showing up

What NMEA 0183 sentences are required/supported for wind data into FloatHub? I am sending MWD, MWV, VHW, and VWR but I don’t see any wind data in the FloatHub portal.

FloatHub reads wind data from MWV sentences, which it should pick up from either regular NMEA or High Speed NMEA. We went back and looked at logs of your message communications and don’t see any wind data being forwarded, but we did see depth and speed through water data.

Is your wind instrument on the same input as the depth/STW instrument(s)? If so, are they multiplexed?

If you have MWV on a different input, then the most likely culprit would be the device itself. We did have some teething problems with High Speed data parsing, but believe those issues were all resolved. Always possibly you’ve found another issue (or just have a defective part/lead in your particular device).

Let us know which input this should be coming in on, we can further assist from there.

The wind instrument is on the same input as the depth/STW instruments. There is a downstream multiplexer, but it is combining it from many other sources (see s/v Grace for a full network diagram) and I am also sending it to multiple other 0183 devices. I will check to make sure it is present there as well.

If you can capture a dump of what’s coming in on the 0183, we’d be happy to help debug. Just a telnet to port 2319 on your FloatHub device should show an echo of all the NMEA coming in (or being generated on board).

I do not see that sentence anywhere when I telnet into the FloatHub on port 2319. I have telnetted into the multiplexer, which the FloatHub is directly connected to, and I see that sentence there being repeated out by that device.

So it could either be the multiplexer is not sending it to the FloatHub (unlikely since it is sending it to other devices successfully) or the FloatHub is not processing it correctly.

I am sending it at 38400, if that matters. Somewhere you had mentioned that was a previous issue…

Here’s some of the raw data from the mutliplexer itself:

$MXHDG,251.87,65
$MXRSA,V,03
$MXMWD,T,M,0,N,M
$MXMWV,R,M,A
2B
$MXVWR,0,N,M,0,K0E
$MXDBT,14.57,f,4.44,M,2.43,F
$MXRSA,V,03
$MXRSA,V,03
$MXVHW,T,251.83,M,0.00,N,0.00,K
$MXRSA,V,03
$MXMWD,T,M,0,N,M
$MXMWV,R,M,A
2B
$MXVWR,0,N,M,0,K0E
$MXRSA,V,03
$MXRSA,V,03
$MXRSA,V,03
$MXMWD,T,M,0,N,M
$MXMWV,R,M,A
2B
$MXVWR,0,N,M,0,K
0E
$MXRSA,V,03
$MXRSA,V,03
$MXRMC,A,4737.77,N,12223.35,W,0.00,S
$MXGLL,4737.77,N,12223.35,W,A
3B
$MXGGA,4737.77,N,12223.35,W,0.5700000000000001,M,M,61
$MXRSA,V,03
$MXMWD,T,M,0,N,M
$MXMWV,R,M,A
2B
$MXVWR,0,N,M,0,K
0E
$MXRSA,V,03
$MXRSA,V,03
$MXRSA,V,03
$MXMWD,T,M,0,N,M
$MXMWV,R,M,A
2B
$MXVWR,0,N,M,0,K
0E
$MXRSA,V,*03
$MXRSA,V,*03

Ok, couple follow-on questions. The wind sentences all appear to be null:

$MXMWV,R,M,A*2B

while your depth sentences do have data in them:

$MXDBT,14.57,f,4.44,M,2.43,F*02

so that is consistent with what we’re seeing at this end. Of course it may just be that you had your wind instruments turned off at the moment you grabbed this data dump and that they are normally on.

Given that the multiplexer is putting out 38400, can you confirm it is wired into the DATA-HS (High Speed) input terminals on your FloatHub device?

Is anything wired into regular speed DATA in ?

Just trying to see if it could be a fault on the device of regular DATA in being fine, but DATA-HS having a hardware issue? Of if everything is coming in DATA-HS, it could be a parsing/software issue?

Hmmm no the instrument should have been on - its always on. I wonder if MWV is calculated based on some other value such as moving through the water? I see wind data on the NMEA 2000 bus, which is where this comes from, and then is translated by the gateway (Nemo gateway). I also have a ton of other apps that are seeing the wind data, so perhaps we just caught a bad set of data? I will check.

Yes, the multiplexer is wired from its HS points to the FloatHub HS points. Everything should be coming in HS, nothing is connected to the low speed ports on the FloatHub.

I have several other devices that parse and produce NMEA 0183 data - let me see what they are outputting - I will be down at the boat here shortly and then should be able to remember the other devices I’m referencing :slight_smile:

Very good. Take a longer sample of data by all means, and feel free to email to help@floathub.com. We can parse it fairly quickly and see if there are MWV sentences with useful data coming out of your multiplexer.

It could also be that whatever is doing the 2000 → 0183 translation (before it gets to the multiplexer, sound like you have a NEMO doing this) needs some sort of configuration to fill out MWV.

Clear at this end now that everything is coming over DATA-HS from the multiplexer.

Just following up on this, had a look at your logs again earlier this morning. Still not seeing any wind speed or direction data, but depth continues to come through.

Please let us know if there’s any more info we could provide from this end.

I have not been able to change the configuration of the downstream device to validate wind data is being sent. It is showing up on other instruments and elsewhere, so I am pretty sure its configured correctly, but will verify.

OK. Let us know if there’s anything we can do to help.