Understanding Cellular Data Pricing

All FloatHub Cellular units come with an onboard SIM card that provides for worldwide cellular network connectivity. In an effort to keep billing and account management as simple as possible, we cover all reasonable cellular data costs as long as you have an Enhanced Monitoring Plan. These plans cost $9.99/month (or $99.99/year), and users that have a FloatHub Cellular device get up to 5 MB of cellular data included for free each month.

This 5 MB limit is generally more than enough to cover mixed WiFi/cellular coverage. If you are in a scenario where you want to use 100% cellular and have a lot of traffic (boat frequently used, lots of sensors, AIS relaying over cellular, etc.), you can have it cut out at any data limit you like and pay $0.50 per MB for as much as you actually use up to that limit (over the free 5 MB). Data usage is unlikely to exceed 10 MB or so in most scenarios, but the sky is the limit on AIS relaying in busy waterways. Note that there is an option to only relay AIS over WiFi and just use cellular for regular onboard monitoring data (this is the factory default).

If you want to opt for a higher data limit, you can do so on your account page (note that only users of FloatHub cellular units will see this option):

https://floathub.com/account

Please note that if you’d only really benefit from cellular connectivity during certain months of the year, you can turn on Enhanced Monitoring for only those months where you want cellular coverage. Your device should automatically reconnect to the cellular network within an hour of you turning back on Enhanced Monitoring via your account on the FloatHub website. And your device will continue to relay data over WiFi during the months where you have only basic (i.e. free) monitoring.

As always, please let us know if you have any questions.

Will these work on Australia 4G as well as the stated 3G

The US-Australia units are currently 3G/2G units only. They operate almost exclusively over Telstra Australia’s network. This is at 850/1900 MHz for both 3G (UMTS/HSPA) and 2G (GPRS/EDGE).

Existing Australia users have not reported any related connectivity issues. For whatever reason, most of them seem to be on the Queensland coast.

1 Like

As 2G is no longer available in Australia, they must use 3G. I am in QLD as well, so i will place an order as well. Just having issues trying to enter my address.
As i would like to monitor several battery banks, i will assume this will work so long as there is a common NEG between the battery and the sensor wire.

Yes on common negative. The single positive lead for monitoring battery banks depends on a (standard) common ground for the vessel’s electrical system.

Sorry for any issue with entering address, it’s a form that is provided by our payment processor, but they tend to be well regarded (stripe.com). Can you be more specific about the issue? Something we could pass along to them?

How do I know if I’m going over the 5GB limit? I can’t tell if I should turn off AIS or not to stay under the limit.

If you have an Enhanced Membership, your account page (Sign in to access your account) should show a cellular data usage graph that is current up to the previous day.

In general, unless you are in a very quiet AIS area, AIS data will fairly easily exceed a 5 MB data limit. We’ll send you a private message with your actual current usage in case you are having issues accessing the account view.