Power consumption of the FloatHub?

I’m finally getting around to hooking up my Kickstarter-backed FloatHub unit. It looks like it’s going to be awesome!

In the manual, it recommends powering the FloatHub directly from a fused connection to the house battery. But so far I haven’t been able to find any information about how much power it will actually consume if it’s running all the time. When I have it hooked up to my NMEA network and my boat club’s WiFi network, what will FloatHub’s power consumption be, approximately?

Thanks so much!

The power draw will be well under 1 amp, and generally less than 500 milliamps. It is difficult to state more precisely as it depends somewhat on the signal strength of WiFi (better signal, lower power required) and the frequency of transmissions (which can depend on what is happening on your vessel).

You will definitely need a source of charging power. In our experience, a medium solar panel is generally enough if shore power is not available.

You can, of course, monitor the house battery with FloatHub, so will know well in advance if the voltage level is not keeping up over time.

Forgot to mention, if your original KickStarter coupon is no longer valid (6 months Enhanced Monitoring), please contact us (https://floathub.com/contact) and we can issue you a new one.

As always, please let us know of any other questions.

Thanks, this is a really helpful answer!